Many of our parents and graduates describe the Vashon Island public school system as having the attributes of a private school education. We offer high quality academic programs and a wide range of opportunities in the arts, sports, music, and travel both in the classroom and through co-curricular clubs and activities. Our schools reflect the commitment of our faculty and staff, the participation and dedication of our parents and families, and the contributions of our vibrant community partner organizations.
Our mission, “to equip every student to engage, thrive, and contribute within an ever-changing world,” guides our commitment to the success of every student. Our joy is to know every student as an individual and to provide each student with the tools and learning opportunities they need to prepare for college or a career, and ultimately to lead productive lives as citizens.
The culture within each of our three public schools is built upon a deep compassion and caring for one another. Our teachers and staff are renowned for their experience, qualifications and commitment. They work together both within departments and across grade levels to ensure continuity of curriculum and support for students.
Our public schools thrive because of our community of support. Our curriculum is greatly enhanced by contributions of funding from Vashon Partners in Education, Vashon PTSA, and Vashon Island Public Schools Foundation, among others. Thanks to partnerships with Vashon Youth and Family Services and Vashon Alliance to Reduce Substance Abuse, our learning community has access to education and resources directed towards mental and physical health.
I invite you to visit our campus and see our award-winning schools first hand. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome.
Michael Soltman, Superintendent
Our objectives for our learners:
3. Every student demonstrates a commitment to contribute by participating in projects that are meaningful to the student and to the community.
It's about Equity
We are working to develop a profound and deep respect for each individual in our learning community to ensure each is able to engage, thrive and contribute. Each person in our community treated fairly; recognized, acknowledged and valued because of individual differences.
"Tree" Wordle created by our staff on October 14, 2016 during the keynote address: Engaging, Learning and Leading for Equity. Speaker: Nikum Pon, Puget Sound Educational Service District
1. Deepen students’ engagement in their learning community.
2. Adopt, embed, and evaluate a district set of cognitive and social skills within a growth mindset.
3. Make learning relevant and responsive to students’ lives in an ever-changing world.
1. Instructional Practice Initiative: Empower teachers to lead instructional change using the Marzano Instructional Framework; increase student engagement and enhance student growth by effectively monitoring and addressing the unique needs of our learners.
2. Culture Initiative: Implement a social-emotional health framework along with research-based programming to facilitate a culture of care and compassion which encompasses life skills for healthy living, systems of intervention and support to address the unique needs of our learners, and a commitment to racial equity in our school community.
Superintendent Search Focus Survey!
Please let us hear your voice to help determine qualities our community is looking for in a new Superintendent.
Your input is very important to this process and we hope you can take time to fill out the survey below.
Superintendent Search Survey -Commuter Families
If you have any questions, please contact Jodi Burwell (206) 463-8534 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark your calendars for opportunities for community input for the search of a new Superintendent.
March 24, 2018
Open public session for preliminary Interviews with Superintendent canidates. 3 finalists will be announced after a closed Executive Session.
Chautauqua Elementary School, District Conference Room #302 (location may change)
March 26-28, 2018
5:30pm Open public session for board dinner with one of the final canidates. Chautauqua Elementary School, District Conference Room #302 (location may change)
7:00pm Open community session with one of the final canidates. Vashon Island High School Theater
*Information is subject to change and will be updated when neccessasry.