Your school health team supports student learning by helping students and staff to stay as healthy as possible during the school day.
Ann Zapf, RN, BSN: Nurse Ann is the nurse for Chautauqua Elementary School. Ann can be reached at (206) 463-8599.
Sarah Day, RN, BSN: Nurse Sarah works at McMurray Middle School and Vashon Island High School. Sarah can be reached at (206)463-8600 or cell (206)445-8362.
Elizabeth Parrish, Health Room Assistant: Elizabeth works part-time for the district in the McMurray and Vashon High School health rooms.Illness Guidelines
- Enterovirus D68
- Pertussis(Whooping Cough)
- Chicken Pox (Varicella)
- Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
- Strep Throat
- Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease
- Quick Guide to Removing Head Lice Safely
- Head Lice 101
- VISD Head Lice Procedure
- How to Examine Your Child for Head Lice
- Lice Treatment & Combing video
- Prescription and Non Prescription Treatments for Head Lice
Life-threatening illness:Per Washington State Law, Health Care Provider orders, medications and/or supplies must be in place no later than the first day of school. Parents must meet with the district nurse to establish a plan of care before school begins (preferably 2 weeks in advance).
- Severe Allergy:
- Moderate to Severe Asthma
- Seizure Disorder
Immunization:The Vashon Island School District requires a signed Certificate of Immunization (CIS) downloaded from the Washington State Department of Health Immunization Registry (called MyIR). If a completed CIS isn't available, we require a signed CIS and copies of clinical records from your health care provider.To print your child's immunization certificate from the WA State Immunization Registry, contact the school nurse or go to: https://wa.myir.net/
If the parent/guardian chooses not to immunize for any or all of the required immunizations, a Certificate of Exemption (signed by parent and Health Care Provider) is also required.When your child enters 6th grade, a Tdap (whooping cough) booster shot is required.
- Required Immunizations for School
- Certificate of Immunization
- Certificate of Exemption
- Recommended but not required immunizations
- Vashon Resource List
- Low Cost or Free Health Insurance
- Low cost Dental Clinics
- Vision: If you cannot afford a vision exam or glasses for your child, please contact district nurse, Sarah Day
- American Academy of Pediatrics website for parents
- Center for Disease Control
- Public Health – Seattle and King County
- Seattle Children’s Medical Center
- Head Lice – Evidence based links
VISD Staff Training