Enrolling in the Vashon Island School District as a Non-Resident:
Thank you for your interest in Vashon Island Schools! We greatly value the contributions to our student community and learning environment students from off island bring with them while commuting to our schools. Families seeking an engaging school setting, diverse extracurricular activities, and passionate teachers find them on Vashon. Our students are curious, authentic, and persistent in their learning and can often be found pursuing their interests outside of school. We are glad you are interested in contributing and participating in our learning community. Please see the following information regarding the application process and timeline as well as information if you have continuing questions.
The application and admission process is as follows:
- Join us for a tour to learn more about your prospective school. We strongly encourage you to bring your student along! Non-Resident Tours for the 2020-21 school year are:
- December 4, 2019 (9:30 A.M. @VHS, 11 A.M. @McM, 12:45 P.M. @CES)
- January 15, 2020 (9:30 A.M. @VHS, 11 A.M. @McM, 12:45 P.M. @CES)
- CES will have additional tours after January. Please visit their website for details.
- Apply for admission using our Non-Resident Student application, Non Resident Application
- Applications for non-resident students will be accepted for the 2020-2021 school year beginning January 6, 2020. Applications received by February 1st receive first consideration for space available. Families will be notified beginning March 2, 2020 whether their application was accepted, waitlisted (accepted pending space), or denied. The notification process may take several weeks. All applications are considered equally for admission based on:
- Academic/Attendance/Discipline records and
- Program and/or space availability
- Current Non-Resident students must reapply each year and are given first priority for continuing enrollment as long as they are in good standing with regard to academics, attendance, and behavior. Current students must re-apply by February 1st in order to receive first consideration for continuing enrollment. Families will be notified beginning March 2, 2020 whether their application was accepted, waitlisted (accepted pending space), or denied.
- When receiving an acceptance letter for enrollment at CES, McM, or VHS, you must complete and return an enrollment packet that contains a form used to request records from your student’s current school along with immunization forms, and other critical documents. Your student’s enrollment will not be finalized until all of these documents have been received by the school’s front office.
- Families who decide to “decline” an offer of enrollment are asked to notify the school’s Principal in writing immediately so that offers can be made to other applicants.
Questions, forms, and other information can be received for each school from the following people:
Chautauqua Elementary: Kelly Murphy, CES Secretary email@example.com 206-463-2882 x0
McMurray Middle School: Barb Jensen, McM Registrar, firstname.lastname@example.org 206-463-9168
Vashon High School: Deb Franson, VHS Registrar, email@example.com 206-463-8684
Choice Transfers, District Contact: Sherry Mitra firstname.lastname@example.org 206-463-8530