Awards and Recognition
McMurray Middle School
Highlights and Honors:
- All students participated in Community Day and assemblies throughout the year designed to create a positive and welcoming environment at the beginning of our school year.
- All students participate annually in our Student-Led Conference program, in which, they identify strengths, set goals, and analyze growth through an in-depth portfolio
- Student Leaders in our Leadership and Executive Council contribute greatly to our school and community, particularly through various service projects throughout the year
- Symphonic Band (7th and 8th grade) received an “Distinguished” (Top) rating at the Commencement Bay Band Festival, 2018
- Over 200 students qualify for M.A.S.T. (McMurray Academic Success Team) Honors in 2017- 3.5 or higher GPA or improved GPA of .5 or better.
- 2016 and 2017 “Gold Star” award in recognition for College Bound Scholarship registration
- Over 50 8th grade students qualified for the “President’s Award for Academic Excellence” by earning a 3.5 GPA or better for their entire Middle School years.
- WIAA Team “Outstanding Scholarship” or “Distinguished Scholarship” academic awards were earned by: Volleyball (3.7 Average GPA) Girls’ Soccer (3.6 Average GPA) Girls’ Basketball (3.6 Average GPA), Track (3.5 Average GPA), Boys’ Soccer team (3.4 Average GPA), Boys’ Basketball (Average 3.3 GPA), (3.1 Average GPA), Wrestling (3.1 GPA)
- Over 300 students (80%) of our students participate in a wide range of interscholastic sports (see above) and one or more of our clubs: Makers’/Coding Club, Games Club, Sources of Strength, Freedom Readers Club, Yearbook Club, Art Lab, Feature Fridays, Yoga Club, Executive Council, Green Team, and Friday Movie Nights.
- McMurray hosts over 200 volunteers annually, creating a welcoming and successful partnership with our parents and the community.
- 140 7th grade students participate in “Vashon History Days” throughout second semester, learning about our island heritage through oral history, interactive field trips and engaging with our community.
- 130 8th grade students participated in Exploratory Week in June, choosing and a range of 8 week-long experiential learning activities.