6th Grade Mathematics
McMurray Middle School
Our curriculum is Connected Mathematics Project 3 (CMP3). CMP3 is aligned with Common Core. I supplement the curriculum with other curriculum and materials, including, but not limited to: Khan Acacemy, Illustrative Mathematics, and Delta Math.
This year we will discuss and explore the following topics:
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
* Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
The Number System
* Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions.
* Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
* Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
Expressions and Equations
* Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
* Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
* Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
* Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
Statistics and Probability
* Develop understanding of statistical variability.
* Summarize and describe distributions.
Students will have a CMP3 book corresponding to our unit of study.
Grading will be standards-based:
Scores (4, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1) will be based on the students ability to demonstrate their understanding of the skills associated with the standards.
See the Updates section for more information about the standards.
Materials Needed in Class Daily
* Journal (interactive notebook)
* 2-3 sharp pencils
* Lined paper, 3-hole punched, 8 1/2 x 11 inch
* Book corresponding to our unit of study - will be provided
How Parents Can Help
* Check the class webpage frequently and regularly for updates. The webpage will be your main source of information regarding everything we are doing in 6th grade math.
* Show interest in your child's math work. Talk to them about their homework and help them if needed.
* Please contact me with any concerns, thoughts, or questions you might have regarding your child. I believe in communication.