The Daily BulletinRead The Daily Planet
McMurray December Calendar 2013
11 Night of Visual and Performing Arts, 6:00 – 8:00
13 Ugly Sweater Spirit Day
13 Winter Holiday Dance, 2:45-4:30
17 Winter Band Concert, 7:00 – 8:30
23-Jan. 3 Winter Break
Jan. 6 Classes resume
Come join us on Wednesday, December 11, from 6 to 8 pm for a Night of Visual and Performing Arts. We will feature student art exhibits, music, art demonstrations, performances, digital art displays and we will also offer refreshments. There is no charge for this program.
Reptile Man will perform at Chautauqua Elementary on Friday, December 6th from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Everyone is welcome. A donation of $3.00 per student and $5.00 per adult is suggested, but no one will be turned away.
A big thank you goes out to Vashon Partners in Education for awarding the following grants to McMurray staff.
Patty Gregorich… Vashon-Maury books by Island authors
Karen Stendahl… A Shared Heritage and Future
Stephanie Detwiler… Participating in Representative Government
Tim Heryford… Educational Disc Golf Experience
Carolyn Zike… Student generated enrichment and clubs
Greg Allison… Houston Kraft, motivational speaker
Lea Heffernan… bike maintenance supplies for Mountain Biking class
Julie Jaffe.. books and brain puzzles
Lea Heffernan… Lego robotics
Katie Lewandowski… potter’s throwing wheels
School Tour Dates
Enrolling Non-resident Students at McMurray Middle School 2013-2014
Each year around this time, the phone begins to ring with parents calling who are interested in exploring McMurray Middle School and learning about the process for students commuting to Vashon as a “non-resident.”
McMurray offers a series of tours for students and their families aimed to give a broad overview of our Middle School programs as well as familiarize visitors with our campus, facilities, and extracurricular programs.
Tours are led by Principal Greg Allison. Following a welcome and overview, a student panel will offer their perspective on commuting to McMurray Middle School. Information will be shared about what is involved in navigating the commute to Vashon for those coming from off-Island. Tour participants are encouraged to ask questions.
If you are interested in attending one of our tours, please contact Greg Allison at 206
463-9168, ext. 166 to sign up.
2013-2014 tours are currently scheduled for the following dates and typically last 45 minutes:
Wednesday, December 11 from 11:00-11:45
Wednesday, January 22 from 11:00-11:45
Wednesday, February 5 from 11:00-11:45
Wednesday, March 5 from 11:00-11:45
*We have scheduled our tour time to align with the 10:20 boat leaving Fauntleroy and/or the 10:10 boat leaving Southworth.
The Enrollment Process
The process for enrolling as a non-resident student at McMurray involves a few simple steps:
1. Join us for a tour to learn more about our school. We encourage you to bring your student along.
2. Apply for admission using our Non-Resident Student application,
3. Applications are currently being accepted for the 2013-2014 school year; these forms are date stamped and considered in the order they are received.
4. McMurray has two application cycles: Early enrollment forms are due by February 14th, with notifications regarding acceptance mailed out on March 3rd . Late enrollment applications are due by April 28th , with notifications mailed out on May 5th. Applications may still be submitted following the April 28th date, but on a space-available basis.
5. When you receive an acceptance letter for enrollment at McMurray, you must obtain a “non-resident inter-district transfer agreement” from your local Superintendent's office. Your student's enrollment will be confirmed once this transfer agreement has been received by McMurray. This will finalize the enrollment process.