Take our survey!
SOUNDINGS SURVEY! - Tell us what you think...
Please help us evaluate the effectiveness of this newsletter by taking a short 60 second survey. (Click)
Thanks for your time!
Emergency Weather Info
During periods of extreme weather and/or power outages, radio/TV stations will report closures and changes of schedule. The latest information can be accessed at FlashAlert.net or by calling the VISD District Office at 206-463-2121 for a recorded message.
The following are the options when it becomes necessary to close schools, change the starting time for the day or adjust bus routes.
- “Regular Schedule with Emergency Bus Routes". This announcement means schools are operating on schedule and that emergency bus routes are operating (see Emergency Bus Routes).
- "2 ½ Hours Late". This announcement indicates that school is open with schools and buses running two and one half (2 ½) hours later than the normal schedule, including ECEAP preschool. (Same as PDD late start day schedule.)
|School||2 1/2 Hour Late Start Time|
|Chautauqua Elementary School/ECAP Preschool||11:30|
|McMurray Middle School||10:35|
|Vashon Island High School||10:30|
A.M. Kindergarten and A.M. Preschool classes will not be in session on late start days. Bus transportation, including emergency bus routes, will depend on the conditions. All day Kindergarten, P.M. Kindergarten, All day Preschool and P.M. Preschool classes will be in session. Check the emergency bulletins for specific information.
- "Schools Closed." This announcement means all schools will be closed for one day. All meetings, field trips, after-school activities, etc., will be canceled for the day.
VISD will send late start and closure updates to all parent/guardian email addresses on file with the district. Please make sure your school has your current email address!
You may also signup for email notifications at http://www.flashalert.net
Mi Escuelita Preschool
A new free preschool program for income eligible families.
Vashon Island School District is now accepting applications for enrollment in a free preschool program to income eligible families serving three and four year olds.
The program begins November 4, 2014 at Chautauqua Elementary School four days per week,Tuesday through Friday,from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm.
This exciting new program will feature:
- Dual language Spanish and English
- Exploration, outdoors, and child-centered learning
- Family support, meals, and health screenings
The first application deadline is October 19, 2014 followed by a rolling acceptance of applications, year long. Applications can be picked up at the Chautauqua Elementary front office from 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday.The District has resources appointed for help to complete the application, if necessary.
We welcome your questions. Please call Roxanne Lyons at 206-463-8531.